Monday, January 28, 2013

Week 1/21/12

This week I was impressed at the family mapping we did. I try to be aware of my family relationships, but it was interesting to see what the relationships in my life look like when I have to write them down and categorize them. Also, the interactive class discussion of the married couple at a therapy session was intriguing. I realize it if I think about it, but it was interesting to bring to light the fact that when a therapist focuses on negative emotions and asks about the emotions that draw their clients away from their family - the patient ends up being more attached to the therapist. This puts the therapist in a heroic view that is wrong but makes sense in therapy because its good for business in order to keep clients coming. Something that I want to try to apply in my life is this concept when I speak to my friends and family. I want to be sure to ask questions that are positive and point people in the right direction instead of planting seeds of contention down as separation. This is the same concept that applies to a couple when having problems, a mother or friend can act as the 'bad therapist'. Even if this is by accident, it is important for couples to communicate to each other and not necessarily involve others.

No comments:

Post a Comment